Home Maintenance Tasks: March
Posted: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
- Daylight Saving Time begins. Honor the occasion by replacing batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Review the contents of your medicine cabinets and throw away dated prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines. Be sure all medicines are out of the reach of children or contained in a cabinet equipped with childproof locks.
- Celebrate spring by cleaning the garage. Hold a yard sale, or organize a community yard sale with neighbors. Dispose of paint thinners, household cleaners and pesticides properly. Contact your city's department of public works to find out the next scheduled collection of hazardous materials.
- Clean the refrigerator, inside and out, with mild detergent. Remove all trays and shelves, wash, and allow to dry thoroughly before replacing them. Remove old ice from ice-making tray.
- After heavy rains, inspect your basement walls for signs of moisture. If you detect wetness, run a portable dehumidifier. If condition persists, consult a waterproofing contractor.
- Check to make sure your sump pump works properly by pouring water into the pump silo to raise the float and activate the motor. More about sump pumps...
- Test the pressure and temperature relief valve on your water heater by opening it and allowing some water to flow out. If little or no water flows out or it doesn't shut off, replace it. Bad valves can cause explosions.
- Spring is a good time to build a doghouse. Make sure to provide adequate roof ventilation to allow hot air to escape. And don't use pressure-treated wood in any area where your dog might chew it.
Provided by move.com