Iron Range Earth Fest
Posted: 2009-03-25 09:35:17
North St. Louis County Habitat for Humanity is proud to be participating in the upcoming Iron Range Earth Fest!
The first annual Iron Range Earth Fest will be held on Saturday, April 18, 2009: 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. at the Mt. Iron Community Center and the Messiah Lutheran Church. This exciting event is presented by the Iron Range Partnership for Sustainability (IRPS): Club Mesabi, Inc., Hope Presbyterian Church Green Team, Messiah Lutheran Church Creation Care Team, Natural Harvest Food Co-op, Laurentian Environmental Center, North St Louis Soil & Water Conservation District, and the Virginia Sustainability Task Force
The mission of the IRPS is to stimulate a practical, multi-sector environmental movement on the Iron Range working towards creating a sustainable future for our children and our communities. The Earth Fest Goal is to hold a broad based, high energy, well-coordinated and publicized community event to stimulate conversation and share traditional and technological approaches for a sustainable future in Minnesota and the Iron Range.
Part of the Earth Fest Goal is also to:
- Share traditional skills for sustainable living (e.g. gardening, composting, hunting, trapping, fishing, canning, quilting, weaving, wine and beer making).
- Feature a broad spectrum of community groups, businesses, municipalities, power companies, churches, and environmental organizations and agencies around concern for a sustainable future in Minnesota and the Iron Range.
- Involve a diversity of adults and children from our area, not limited to people who already see themselves as environmentalists.
- Create the foundation for an annual event which continues to builds a broad-based, practical Iron Range movement for sustainability.
The event components will include:
- A Taste of the Range featuring foods traditional to the Iron Range along with foods made from locally grown and raised sources.
- How-to booths and informative displays on practical skills for sustainable living.
- Informative and interactive displays about environmental impact and care.
- A series of demonstrations and talks on a wide range of topics in a separate area.
- Activities appealing to all ages.
- Live music.
- A well-known keynote speaker to begin or conclude the event.
Habitat will be highlighting the Green Building Project Requirements that we are incorporating into our build sites and selling FSC certified wood that festival-goers can "sponsor" and sign with a message for a Habitat home.
Join Habitat and all the contributors Saturday, April 18th from noon to five at the Mountain Iron Community Center and Messiah Lutheran Church. We look forward to seeing you there!
For more information contact:
Ardy Nurmi-Wilberg, Event Coordinator
1322 12th St SoVirginia, MN
55792218-749-4331 (home office)