Home Maintenance Tasks: May
Posted: 2009-05-01 16:42:34
- Clean gutters. Inspect gutters to ensure all spikes, straps and clips are tightly fastened. Use a garden hose to flush debris from downspouts. Make sure downspouts or splashbacks direct water at least three feet away from the foundation.
- Wash windows, inside and out, using a solution made from three tablespoons of non-sudsy ammonia to 1 gallon of water. Don't work in the direct sun -- the solution will dry too fast and streak. To clean windows with real (not removable) grills, use a hacksaw to cut a squeegee so it fits the windowpanes exactly.
- Have central air-conditioning unit checked according to the recommendations of the unit's manufacturer. Replace the filter in the forced-air system. Clean debris from condenser or heat pump located outside.
- Remove mineral deposits from faucet aerators and shower heads by soaking parts in white vinegar and scrubbing with an old toothbrush.
- Have swimming pools cleaned. Inspect and service pool liners and filters.
- Shop for seasonal sales on air-conditioning units and window fans.
- Dust ceiling fan blades.
- Set thermostats and automatic sprinkler system to adjust for weather changes.
- Before placing metal patio furniture outdoors, coat it with auto polish.
Provided by move.com