13.4 °F

Habitat500 Training Tip #16

Posted: 2009-05-25 14:46:38

Looking back to past rides we found this fun letter. It was written by Nathan’s daughter, Katie, after she rode in the Habitat500 when she was just 13 years old. Installment 5:

On the fifth day, we were going from McGregor to Mora; it was even harder than the day before. But I had decided that I would be okay with it and that I wouldn’t be crabby anymore. It is amazing how much of a difference your attitude makes. We were going really fast we were up with all the fast people for the first two rest stops then the wind started to pick up a little bit and it took us a little longer to get to the third one, by the time we got to rest stop 3 the wind was blowing full force into our faces . When we were at the rest stop people were challenging the wind going “Come on is that the best you got” The wind would answer by blowing even harder, then we had to leave the rest stop I really didn’t want to leave the rest stop. So as we began moving we slowly approached the first hill. It was really hard to go up because the wind was so bad. We finally reached the top of the hill and were looking forward to coasting down and relaxing. Yeah, Right!! The wind was blowing so hard in our faces that we had to pedal down hill to get anywhere. By the time we reached the school at the end of the day I was really tired hot and sun burned. Fortunately Chelsea and her sister had found a cold air return that was on the floor and we could lay under an overhanging wall in the cool air.

We hung out there for about ½ hour and I was finally cool enough to begin to function. There had been rumors going around about a terrible hail bearing storm that was going to terrorize all the people who were camping out in tents. So Chelsea and I went to ask the weather man Julian who was in the nightly news. He also told us there was going to be a big storm. Chelsea and I went to her parents and were begging them to let her sleep inside. But they refused. My parents decided we were camping out too. We both set up our tents and I went in to eat supper and they went back to their van. We promised to meet each other in the cafeteria by the columns that they had painted like color crayons for the folly’s. Supper was really good and the follies were funny, but we still had the foreboding storm approaching. By the time the folly’s were over we were going to get in our tents and the rain was falling lightly, I don’t know how bad the storm was because I was so tired that I slept right through it

Check back next week for the final installment of Katie’s letter!