Monthly Energy Saving Tip: Summer
Posted: 2009-06-15 11:43:00
- INSTALL A PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT. Make sure it is programmed to automatically turn down the heating or cooling when you are not home and when you're sleeping.
TO KEEP COOK WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING:
USE FANS. At night they help rid the house of the heat from the daytime sun.
- CLOSE SHADES AND WINDOWS DURING THE DAY. At night open windows opposite one another for cross-ventilation.
COVER YOUR WATERBED. It may use as much electricity as your refrigerator. To save more than 30% of that cost, make the bed routinely and cover it with a comforter.
- USE CEILING FANS. They make people feel about four-degrees cooler than the actual temperature.
KEEPING COOL WITH AIR CONDITIONING
- SET THERMOSTAT AT 78 degrees Fahrenheit OR HIGHER IF YOU USE CEILING FANS. You save 3-5% on your air conditioning cost for each degree you raise a thermostat.
- CLEAN FILTERS. Check furnace and air filters monthly or as recommended by the manufacturer. Clean or replace them as needed.
- USE THE "AUTO FAN" SETTING.
- BUY AN ENERGY STAR AIR CONDITIONER.