Monthly Energy Saving Tip: Heating
Posted: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
- TURN YOUR THERMOSTAT DOWN FIVE DEGREES. Each degree saves about 2% on your heating bill. So that's about $50 on each $500 heating bill. If you install a programmable thermostat it will do the work for you.
- HAVE A PROFESSIONAL TUNE UP AND INSPECT YOUR FURNACE. An oil-burning furnace should be checked once a year, a gas-burning furnace every two or three years. This can save you up to 10% on your heating costs.
- IF YOU HAVE A WARM-AIR FURNACE OR HEAT-PUMP, CHECK THE FILTER EACH MONTH. Clean or replace the filters as needed.
- IF YOU HAVE HOT WATER OR STEAM HEAT, CHECK WATER LEVELS. A heating contractor can tell you how to add more water. Ask teh contractor for more tips to make your system work better.
- CLEAR THE AREA AROUND YOUR FURNACE. This lessens the chance of fire and improves airflow.
- MAKE SURE HEAT CAN GET INTO THE ROOM. Keep furniture and drapes from blocking radiators, heating registers, and return vents.
- NEVER USE THE STOVE TO HEAT YOUR HOME! It is expensive and very dangerous.
- USE A SPACE HEATER THAT HAS BEEN TESTED AS HAVING THE LATEST SAFETY STANDARDS.
- PLACE SPACE HEATERS IN AN OPEN AREA. They should be placed on a level, hard, non-flammable surface so air can circulate around them. Keep them at least three feet away from flammable materials.
- TURN OFF THE SPACE HEATER WHEN YOU LEAVE THE ROOM OR GO TO SLEEP. Do not place a space heater near anyone sleeping.
Note: It is important to use precautions in purchasing and using space heaters. Fires and carbon monoxide poisonings result each year from their use.
First Published by Lake Country Power